In 1867, Mrs. Frances Vinton of Providence, Rhode Island set out on a mission to have three churches built in memory of her children. She desired that one be built on the west coast, one on the east coast and one in the center of the United States. In keeping with the bible verse, "thy praise shall ring from shore to shore," Mrs. Vinton selected the communities: her hometown of Providence, Rhode Island, San Gabriel, California and Clermont, Iowa. Working with Dr. William Lewis of Clermont, Mrs. Vinton ensured the construction of Clermont's Episcopal Church of Our Saviour. In addition to the church building, Mrs. Vinton gifted the adjoining property lots, a set of bibles and a Meneely church bell. Local limestone from the Williams' quarry was brought from three miles away for the construction of the church, and the design was kept simple and open. The bright, unpretentious design has changed very little since1867. The sanctuary is still a clean white, with few embellishments. The hanging lamps and great cast iron stove add character and charm. The church still has the original pews, and the bell still rings each Sunday.